What You’ll Need:
- flagpole kit
- quick set concrete (3 bags)
- assorted plants
- cordless drill with battery and magnetic
- hand tamper
- post hole digger
- screwdrivers (Phillips and flat-head)
Continue reading for step-by-step instructions on installing your flag pole.
1. Check with your community, association, or city to see if there are any rules or regulations concerning the installation of flag poles.
2. Determine the location for your flag pole, and mark off the area for the foundation using a string to measure a circle around a center point.
3. Dig the foundation for the flag pole. Important: To determine the depth of the foundation hole, divide the height of the flag pole by 10. Following that formula, our 20-foot pole needs a 2-foot deep foundation.
4. The flag pole kit comes with a sleeve that’s installed into the ground, and the flag pole simply slips into the sleeve. The sleeve itself is what is secured in the concrete foundation. To prepare for installing the sleeve, mix your concrete according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
5. Set the ground sleeve by first ouring six inches of concrete into the bottom of the hole. Next, push the lighting rod (the spike on the bottom of the sleeve) through the concrete into
the dirt. Fill the rest of the hole with concrete, being sure to keep it plumb. Let the concrete set up.
6. Assemble the flag pole according to the directions included with the kit.
7. To set the flag pole, simply raise the pole and drop it into the hole.
8. Shim the flag pole until it is plumb and fill the voids with packed sand. Cap the packed sand with two inches of
concrete in the sleeve.
9. Add dirt around the foundation and tamp it down.
10. Once the concrete has hardened, install the cleat for the flag pole rope.
11. You may want to landscape the area of the foundation with some plantings or flowers.
12. Raise your flag!
~Information from http://www.hgtv.com~